45 Random Facts About New Zealand
New Zealand is an intensely beautiful destination. It boasts of its diverse natural beauty with raging rivers, pristine trout-filled lakes, scenic beaches, jagged mountains, active volcanic zones, rolling pasture land and steep fiords. Apart from its scenic beauty, there are some interesting random facts about New Zealand, which I am going to share in this post. I am sure these random facts about New Zealand will surprise you because some of them almost seem impossible, but remember there’s more to this than meets the eye.
1. Sir Edmund Hillary, the first man to climb and reach the peak of Mount Everest was a New Zealander.
2. New Zealand was first founded in the year 1642 by a Dutch sailor.
3. The first country to change the law and give women the right to vote in 1893 was New Zealand.
4. New Zealand became a founding member of the British Commonwealth in 1926.
5. New Zealand was the first country to appoint an Official National Wizard in 1990.
6. New Zealand has gifted the world some greatest inventions like disposable syringe, child-proof cap, electric fence, etc.
Geographical Random Facts About New Zealand
7. New Zealand is geographically made up of two main landmasses – North Island and South Island. It around 600 smaller islands.
8. With a visibility of up to 80 meters deep, the clearest lake in the world is Nelson’s Blue Lake in New Zealand.
9. Almost 33% of New Zealand is protected national park.
10.Surprisingly New Zealand does not have any land snakes.
11. 15,134 km long coastline in New Zealand holds the title of being the 9th longest coastline in the world.
12. Ninety-Mile beach in New Zealand is not really 90 miles long. In fact, it is only 55 miles.
13. Form the entire New Zealand, seaside will never be more than 128 km.
14. New Zealand is run by a unitary parliamentary constitutional monarchy under Queen Elizabeth II.
15. New Zealand has two official national anthems of equal status.
17. Sign language is one of three official languages of New Zealand. Maori and English being the other two.
18. New Zealand has legalized same-sex marriage in 2013.
19. The Capital of New Zealand, Wellington is the southernmost capital city in the world.
20. Auckland is the largest Polynesian city in the world.
21. Auckland is popularly known as ‘the city of sails’ as it has the highest number of boats per capita than anywhere else in the world.
22. New Zealand has over 400 golf courses, making it the highest number of golf courses per capita in the world.
23. New Zealand bags the title of winning the highest number of Olympic gold medals per capita than any other country in the world.
24. New Zealand is one of the least populated nations in the world.
25. Out of the entire population in New Zealand, only 5% are humans. Remaining 95% are animals. This makes the country top the list of the highest animal to human ratio in the world.
26. Almost 70% of citizens in New Zealand are of European descent.
27. Over 22% residents of New Zealand were born overseas.
28. New Zealand has a GDP of $185 billion and per capita GDP of $39,427 as per 2016 reports.
29. Tourism in New Zealand contributes $15 billion annually to the GDP.
30. New Zealand earns $1 billion annually from selling kiwi fruit.
31. New Zealand imports majority of its goods from the United States, China and Australia.
32. There are nine sheep to each person in the country, making it the highest ratio in the world.
33. New Zealand is the second largest producer of wool across the globe.
34. New Zealand has a maximum of 5% wage gap between men and women, which is the lowest in the world.
Other Random Facts About New Zealand
35. All the series of the movie – Lord of the Rings were filmed in New Zealand.
36. Kiwifruit is not native to New Zealand. In fact, it is from China.
37. The word kiwi is sometimes used as a slang for a New Zealander.
38. New Zealand holds the title of having the longest place name in the world. There is a hill in Hawke’s Bay whose Maori name is 85 characters long. It is – Taumatawhakatangihangaoauauotameteaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu.
39. In New Zealand, a person can start a business in just one day. Yes, you heard it right! This is the fastest recorded time in the entire world.
40. Bungee jumping originated in New Zealand in 1988 when AJ Hackett made a first commercial bungee jump from Kawarau Bridge in Queenstown.
41. The most famous activity of New Zealanders is Tramping which means walking or hiking.
42. Weather within in New Zealand can highly vary. While it may be sunny in the east coast, it might be raining in the west coast.
43. New Zealand experiences four seasons in one day.
44. New Zealand is the least corrupt nation in the world as per Corruptions Perception Index.
45. New Zealand does not have any nuclear power stations.
Isn’t New Zealand very interesting and beautiful? What other random facts about New Zealand do you know? Share them in the comment section below!
Other Country Facts – 45 Random Facts About Australia